"It sounds like an interrogation gone sexy" - P-Dawg

25 January 2011

I’ve been challenged by Philip Ferguson to write a whole blog post about the sexiest punctuation, interrobangs/interabangs (I think interabang sounds better). I personally think that ellipses are far better but that’s just me... *so much cooler*
So for all you people who don’t know what an interabang is, it’s this: It’s pretty wizard, you have to admit. It’s basically just an exclamation mark and a question mark combined. Like if they got together, their love child would be this lovely specimen.
Before you can learn how to use the interabang, you must first learn about its history. The interabang was created by Martin K. Spekter (what an awesome name) in 1962. Spekter was the head of an advertising agency and the idea was that it would look better if copywriters had a single key that conveyed suprised rhetorical questions. Because they were probably too lazy to press two keys or something. Okay, blah blah blah, that’s all you need to know. Now for the fun part!

How to  use the Interabang
You use it pretty much the same way you would an exclamation mark and question mark... in a sentence that is an exclaimed question. Here are a few examples:
  • “OMG! Did you just chop that guy’s head off‽”
  • “Did the cat just jump over my head‽” (true story)
  • “Is this real life...? Or is this just fantasy‽”
Did you just read this whole post? Congrazzles! You now know how to use the interabang. Unless I’m wrong, which I probably am, in which case you are probably dumber than you were before you read this post.
Imagine you’re on the Weakest Link or Who Wants to be a Millionaire, if it still exists, or some other quiz show and the question pops up, “What is the function of an interrobang?” and you would know the answer, because of this quick lesson!
Thanks to wikipedia for providing me with the answers. Did anyone else see Lady Gaga’s wikipedia page yesterday‽ Somebody raped edited the first line. How dare they commit such slander! Provided some good lols though.

Okay, I'm done now.
Lots of virtual hugs and kisses for all my fans out there (so far the fan count: zero one!),
Le MayJay

0 Responses: